Marc Howard, named as a Georgia Super Lawyer and as a “Legal Elite” lawyer in Georgia Trend Magazine, received his Juris Doctor from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1993. Mr. Howard was then admitted to both the Georgia and Virginia Bar in 1993. Before partnering with Geoff Pope in January of 2005, Mr. Howard spent almost a decade representing airlines and airports, trucking companies, contractors, and insurance companies. Since then, he has turned to individuals, families, and businesses in need of representation for harms caused by the wrongful conduct of others.
As a congressional legislative assistant, Mr. Howard worked with members of Congress on the Transportation Committee, including the Highways and Transit and Aviation Subcommittees, of the U.S. House of Representatives. This work included detailed analysis and revisions to federal trucking and aviation regulations. Since beginning his law practice in 1993, Mr. Howard has handled many trucking and general aviation cases, as well as serving as defense counsel on several high profile commercial aviation cases, including the crashes of Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 2311 in Brunswick, GA (EMB-120) and Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 529 in Carrollton, GA (EMB-120). Mr. Howard also represented Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport for many years. During this time, Mr. Howard handled cases involving serious injuries and death as the result of runway accidents, construction site accidents, criminal attacks on premises and injuries involving hazardous premises conditions.
In 2002, Mr. Howard left his defense practice to focus on representing individuals and families. He has developed a representation for providing high quality work as a trial attorney in complex cases, including truck and car wrecks, aviation, product defects and medical and nursing home negligence. As a result of his work on such cases, Mr. Howard has been named a “Top 100 Trial Lawyer” by The National Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Howard has also been a regular speaker at seminars, and has been invited to speak at the national Aviation Law Seminar at Southern Methodist University. Mr. Howard has testified before the Georgia General Assembly on matters involving legal reform and attorney conduct. Mr. Howard is the past Chairman of the Civil Justice Political Action Committee of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (GTLA) and formerly chaired GTLA’s Amicus Committee, which submits briefs to the Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals regarding numerous legal issues. He currently chairs the education committee for GTLA, which is responsible for presenting continuing education seminars for personal injury lawyers throughout Georgia.
Mr. Howard was elected by lawyers in Atlanta to represent them on the State Bar Board of Governors. Of the approximately 43,000 lawyers in Georgia, only 150 serve on the Board of Governors.
Mr. Howard lives with his family in Sandy Springs, Georgia. He is an active member of Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church, where he has taught Sunday school to youth and adults. Marc also coaches in the church youth basketball league.
More Information About Marc Howard:
Awards, Honors and Recognition:
Over the course of his distinguished career, Marc Howard has been highly recognized for his legal expertise.
- Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyer (2017)
- Georgia Super Lawyers: 2011-2017
- In 2004, the Atlanta Bar Association awarded Mr. Howard the Distinguished Service
- Award for his work as chair of the Minority Clerkship Program
- He is listed in the Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers
- Maintains an AV Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating
- Named “Legal Elite” by Georgia Trend Magazine in 2009
- Named “Lawyer of Distinction” by Jezebel Magazine in 2009
- Georgia Super Lawyer
- Elected to State Bar Board of Governors
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Association for Justice
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Former 7-year Chair of Minority Clerkship Program (1998-2004)
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Provides free representation to children in domestic cases
- Chairman of the Civil Justice Political Action Committee
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Chairman of the Amicus Committee
- Serves on the Executive Committee
- Serves on the Legislative Committee
- Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Sandy Springs Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia since 1993
- Board of Governors
- Evidence Committee
- Judicial Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Virginia State Bar since 1993
Areas of Practice:
- Construction Site Accidents
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Product Defects
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Product Defects
- Nursing Home and Medical Negligence
- Trucking and Auto Accidents